One of the most pressing questions I get from prospective clients is about how to respond to a negative review on Google Places. Today I want to share with you 6 successful business ideas on how to respond appropriately to a review that you don’t like.
Opinions vary on the power or effect of bad reviews with some suggesting that 1 in 3 decide to do business with you based on reviews, while others say the percentage is much higher. In either case, the business owner or general manager must pay attention to the online reviews they’re getting or sit and wonder why we’re not getting more customers.
Successful Business Ideas – Dealing With Negative Reviews
So let’s go through the successful business ideas I have for you on dealing with Google reviews.
1) First, I’d say to be nice. There is no downside to treating an unhappy customer with unusual kindness. The most important words you can say (or write in this case) is “I understand that something we’ve done has upset you”. This phrase will communicate clearly that you care about your customers feelings.
2) Don’t take the comments personally or respond to them personally. They’re commenting about their experience with your business, so seek to address the experience they had and move on. Also remember that when you reply, you’re post is public and everyone can see it.
My third of 6 successful business ideas as it relates to Google Places reviews is:
3) Remember that feedback is helpful. If you did not get notified about a bad experience it’d be hard to identify areas to improve your business’s interaction with customers. If you’ve made changes or improvements based on negative feedback, let the reviewer (and everyone else who reads it know).
4) Keep your reply short and to the point. The reviewer wants to know they’ve been heard. Future clients want to know you’re listening and engaging with paying customers. You don’t need a lot of words for that message to come through.
5) Thank people for taking time to review. If they’re posting about a good experience, thank them for sharing. If the review is negative, thank them for bringing it to your attention so you can address and resolve the problem.
And the last of my 6 successful business ideas is…
6) Be a friend. Remember that people do business with people they know, like and trust. Google Places reviews is powerful in the way it allows you to befriend your customers. Do this well and they’ll be a friend and customer for years to come.